Tuesday, February 6, 2007

My Favorite Poem

I read this poem for the first time 30 years ago in my obstetricians office. He had a poster on the wall next to the exam table . I guess that's a good place to put inspirational literature. You can't do much else but read it as you are sitting on THAT table, naked except for that so lovely paper gown. You've been there, too. I somehow managed to end up in the same exam room many more times over the next 10 years. The poster, of a very pregnant woman, standing in a field of flowers with a little girl kissing her tummy, became faded and torn. Eventually, they took it down. By then, I had memorized the poem and learned to appreciate the words and their validity. But, as time passes, and other things crowd our brains, little things like poems fall by the wayside. I could always remember bits of it...but never the complete verse.
Then, last year, on a trip to Atlanta...I happened to stop in at a World Market. Don't you just love to read some of the crazy cards they have available now? I can pass quite some time reading the clever sayings and looking at the silly pictures. As I was walking away...this card, on the next aisle jumped out at me. It was just a plain white card with the verse on the front. Not flashy or bold...just a quiet testimony to the peace and grace of God. Of all places for me to find MY poem. But there it was, and as I took it down and read it, all the words came right back to me. I bought all they had...as I am the world's worst scatterbrain. I can put things away in a safe place, and they stay safe allright...cause I forget where they are. And, as I am continuing on my life path, I forget even more things now. But that's o.k. I think of it as planning little surprises for myself. I'll be looking for something totally unrelated, and there will pop up the most amazing things. But, back to the card... I know where one of them is because I have it posted on my bathroom mirror, so I see it every morning and night. I know for sure that God placed me in that exam room with that poster for a purpose. Those were words I would need to remember as a young mother raising my 3 boys. And, I'm just as sure God led me to find it again in Atlanta. Isn't it wonderful how he directs our paths when we let him..I wonder how many blessings I've missed...just by not looking or by being too busy. So, here it is. I hope you can find the truth in these lines, as I have.

God has not promised
skies always blue,
flower-strewn pathways
all our lives through;
God has not promised
sun without rain,
joy without sorrow,
peace without pain.

But, God has promised
strength for the day,
rest for the labor,
light for the way,
Grace for the trials,
help from above,
unfailing sympathy'
undying love.


Kristone

No comments: