Thursday, June 7, 2007

TIME TO PACK

In exactly 8 days, 9 hours, and 14 minutes, I will be winging my way to Hawaii. I can not believe it is so near. My friends Shirley and Tina and I have been planning this trip since October and it seemed like it would never get here, and now...it's almost time!!! I still have lots to do to get ready. Since Don and I have been several times before, I am the designated trip planner. I have been working hard to plan activities for each day...but not too many...we need plenty of unplanned time, too. Neither of them have been before and there is so much I want to show them. We are going to spend 8 days...8 DAYS IN PARADISE!!! When I was a senior in high school, I had the opportunity to teach in a camp on the island of Oahu. My love affair with Hawaii began then, and I went back during college to teach again in the same camp. The history of the islands and the Polynesian people has always fascinated me, and I have done quite a bit of research into the ancient history of this magical place. If ever I had to choose another place to live, it would be here. I have spent some time on the islands of Kauai, and Hawaii, and Maui also. Each has its own flavor and beauty. But, I chose Maui for this trip...it seems to have a little of everything. AND, we have a convertible rented for the week!!! Cool, huh? I know, I should be more dignified...but, I don't care...you can be 53 and an old lady, or you can be 53 and be a young lady...I choose young. I have begun to lay out my clothes for the trip, and my shoes, of course! The only downside to this trip is that I did not accomplish my goal to lose some weight before I went. Last year, I lost 30 pounds. But in early fall, I had to go on steroids for an auto-immune disease for 3 months. Well, you know what those can do for you. Along with the stress eating I have done due to Pop's surgery, and Mom's illness, and Don's sudden illness, and Alex's, I have gained it all back. I tried to lose it, but it just didn't happen and I am sooooo disappointed in myself. But, that's life, huh? At least, I can eat all I want there without worrying about a diet...but when I get back...it's diet city!

If you have spent any time on Maui, tell me what you enjoyed doing. I'd love to have some new ideas!

7 comments:

Jean said...

I've never been there, so no advice from here. But I surely do think it sounds like FUN! Will we hear from you while you're there, or will this be a blogless trip?

Justabeachkat said...

I've only been once but we hopped from Island to Island and I can't remember any specific details. Sorry. I do remember Maui was my favorite though.

I envy you the trip, but I don't envy you the packing!

Tracey said...

Tonja, I have never been to Hawaii, but we've talked about it many times. Maybe we'll do that when Zack graduates for a graduation trip!? I'll surely seek your advice if we do!

Have a blast...enjoy the sun on your face and the wind in your hair! Dontcha just love a convertible?! I had a red Sebring convertible and LOVED it!

Tracey said...

oh, and the packing...just take all your flip-flops! They don't take up much room!

Iris Godfrey said...

Seems all your comments are from those of us who have never been there. You see you are special -- to get to go. Bless you.

Don't worry about that diet. When you are my age you will still be wishing you could lose those 20-30, but it usually doesn't occur. It seems gravity has its way afterall.

Enjoy every moment.

Southern Heart said...

It sounds like you have a delightful trip planned...I hope that you enjoy every moment! Take lots of pictures, too.

Have a safe, wonderful journey,

Andrea

Anonymous said...

I've never been there either. Maybe some day. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. Take lots of pictures!