Saturday, November 17, 2007

DIRTY DISHES

"Thank God for dirty dishes,
They have a tale to tell.
While others may go hungry,
We're eating very well.

With home and health and happiness
We really shouldn't fuss.
For by this stack of evidence
God's very good to us!

This little poem was given to me a long time ago when I was a new wife and mother. Our pastor's wife at the time was a really special lady, and she took up a lot of time with our little family. Several things she said and did remain with me still. And one of those is this little poem that she had displayed in her kitchen. She was not the most conventional of pastors wives. She was a godly lady, but, she really did hear "another drummer drumming." Actually, as I see it now, she was just not afraid to be her true, authentic self. Thanks, Mrs Laura Nell Harrison, for your impact on my life. I remember you this Thanksgiving and give thanks to God for you.
Be well and happy.

6 comments:

Jean said...

I had a woman mentorin my life when I was a young mother who certainly followed a different drummer. I think she is probably the one who introduced me to that poem, as well as some others that I have tucked away in my "mothering" file.

Dianne said...

I LOVE that poem...thanks for sharing it!

Justabeachkat said...

what a cute poem! love it!

Hugs!
Kat

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Good thoughts there, Tonja! Looking forward to meeting you at the end of this month on the B'ham trip.

Rhoda

Tracie said...

Thank you so much for sharing. I've never heard this poem but reading it brought a tear to my eye, I'm emotional anyway. Again thanks for sharing and Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Unknown said...

OH, I love this poem!!! God is so Faithful! At our last address, I washed dishes by hand for 12 and a half years! (Yes, I hear the groans of the pre-dishwasher homemakers.) I guess you could say that dirty dishes are the end result of divine provision!

KJ
California