Monday, February 9, 2009

HARD TO UNDERSTAND

This internet has changed the world as I knew it. People who I will never meet know my stories. And I know theirs. People in all walks of life, whose paths would never cross mine, cross my mind all through the day. Because I have read about them. Because I feel empathy with them. Because I am praying for them. But, we are not friends, not even acquaintances, really...just blog writers sharing innermost thoughts and cares. Just hoping someone reads and understands what is on our hearts and minds.



I have read, as I am sure some of you have, of a little girl named Cora. She was diagnosed with neuroblastoma a few weeks back and has been fighting for her life since. She went to live with Jesus yesterday. I make no presumption to know this family other than reading their story on their blog. I found their story by reading of it from another blog. You know how we go 'surfing' when something catches our interest. Anytime I read of a child with cancer, I immediately go back to 1978 when I found out my own child was himself a victim of this same horrible form of childhood cancer. His diagnosis came out of the blue, just as it did for this sweet girl. But, his story had a much happier ending. Adam is now 34, married, and a son to be proud of. His story is on my sidebar, if you are interested.



There is also a sweet girl from my hometown who is fighting another form of cancer in Birmingham. Her parents attend to her and watch and wait and pray. Her name is Hannah Grace.



And the hospitals are full of those I don't know. When one goes home, another one takes his place. And it goes on and on and on.



I do not know why God allows children to suffer. I do not know why any child has to have cancer. I think He should do away with it all together. I think that would be a fine idea...and I do not know why He doesn't think that would be a fine idea, too. It is at times like these that it is easy to 'lose faith' and wonder if God is really watching? Does He see what is happening to the little ones? Why doesn't He heal them all?



I can not answer all the questions. I can only attest to what I know. And this I know. He does care. He loves the 'little ones' even more than their families. His heart breaks when He sees them hurting. His heart breaks when he sees a Mom caressing a tiny head, gently brushing the hair back. His heart breaks when He sees a Daddy standing watch, wanting to 'go to battle' for his child...but not knowing who to fight.



But, we see through our eyes and not His. We feel with our hearts and not His. We understand with our minds, not His. He is good...all the time. His ways are perfect...all the time.
“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,”declares the LORD. As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.” Isaiah 55: 8-9

May God give all these hurting parents comfort and peace. May He hold them closely in His arms. May they find strength in knowing their sweet girl is in the arms of her Creator and has never been in a safer more wonderful place.

14 comments:

Sharon said...

Very Touching post this morning, infact this is the second one that I have read this morning.
I am praying for healing.
Have a blessed day
Hugggs
Sharon

Southern Lady said...

Tonja,

I, too, followed precious little Cora's story and prayed for a miracle for her and her sweet parents. But it was not to be ... and only God knows why.

Cora's story affected me deeply, and words failed me. Thank you for expressing so eloquently all the emotions I've been feeling.

I'm so glad that your son Adam's story had a happy ending. I'm going to read it now.

Sincerely,

Janie

andi said...

I am so thankful for your words as I just read Cora's story this afternoon and felt such agony and wanted to yell at God, "Why didn't you DO something?"
I couldn't write anything about this sweet baby that Jesus is loving on right now. Words simply failed me...
You wrote it perfectly, it helped my aching heart to rest.
I wished you were there this morning to share with you what I posted about today.
Thank you for writing this today. I am thankful for Adam's happy ending.

Keetha Broyles said...

This is a wonderful post. Aren't we glad that though we don't know any answers, we know the One who does and we can trust Him.

A little aside - - - I DO think those we meet and read on here become real friends. Last summer I was privileged to meet a blogging friend from California live and in person and we hit it off just as well that way as we do online.

Jean said...

I never read Cora's story, but there are plenty of other agonizing things that tear up my heart. What about all the children who are at the mercy of horrendous parenting? Or the ones already caught up in the sex trade to make money for their families? Or the pre-teens who care for younger siblings because their parents have died of AIDS? I often wonder how God can stand to watch all that children are enduring.

Thank you for blessing me over and over again with your strong faith in God.

He Knows My Name said...

cyber friend, you poured your heart out here and i feel the same. i find it hard to be a christian, wanting so much to come up with an answer as to why God would allow this and i have none except He is God, He is good, He cares for all and He has a plan. you know the words, not to deminish the fact that they are true but each one does not seem to be enough. my heart breaks.

Jill said...

I found that blog the same way you did... and can't even imagine the heartache of that family. At Christmas she was fine, and not even two months later, she is gone. It's almost too much for me to bear to read.

Justabeachkat said...

I ran across that blog much the same way you did. My heart broke. It's just so hard to understand. Blogging has been such a gift to me, but sometimes as I visit others, my heart just can't take another sad story. Sometimes I just have to walk away from my computer. And begin to pray.

Hugs!
Kat

LivingTheLife said...

I haven't read Cora's story...but I'm so saddened to hear of her death and her families suffering. I have lots of questions as I'm sure so many others do...but,you my friend help put into words what I think a lot of us feel. I know God has all the answers and we will, too...someday...but it does make it hard to understand, especially when it involves anything concerning a child.

Thank you for ALWAYS sharing your heart, your faith and your steadfast love of our Lord...it's awesome to have friends out in this world...whether they are cyber friends or actual next door neighbor friends....it's nice to know God has seen to it that we have met...and for that...I am most grateful.

Blessings...
Teresa

nancygrayce said...

I have been reading her story too and at times like this I always am thankful for the sovereignty of God, knowing that He knows what we don't. I pray the parents will be comforted as only God can comfort. Bless their hearts!

Love Being A Nonny said...

I choose to believe there is a *sorority* in heaven. One day, those taken from us early, will be the CHOSEN ones and will ETERNALLY be the ones who shine far above those of us who lived a longer life here on earth.

Thanks for the comment on my blog. Great idea using a picture in the box of hearts. I am going to do this for all the little ones in my life. Thanks for sharing!

Debbie said...

Thank you Tonja for those nice words of encouragement and thank you for your prayers. I'll keep you updated. Debbie

Paula V said...

Oh, you've got my verse on there. Listen at me, my verse. It's not mine but it is the foundation verse for my blog and my life.

It is so hard to understand many things in this Christian life. So hard, indeeed. But praise the Lord, He is with us and gives us so many promises on which to cling. I just listed on this subject of promises God gives for us to cling to and hold hope in them. Check it out when you can.

Angela Baylis said...

Oh boy, Tonja. I'm hoping all of these people cling to Jesus. He's all they have. This was such a sad post, yet full of so much hope. He does care. I know that for sure. It's stories like those that make me grateful for my life and the health of my family. I want my strength to grow everyday, before something like this hits our family. He is faithful. By the way... I do consider you my friend! :)
Love you,
Angie xoxo