Monday, April 20, 2009

A HARD DAY...




This was the day Alex decided it was time for Scooter to be at rest. And, we all agreed with him that the time had come. He called our vet this morning and made the arrangements. We are so blessed to have a vet who is a godly man. He was very sensitive to Alex's feelings, and he knew how much Scooter freaked out at going to the office. So, he suggested that he come to our house. He and one of his techs came. We all sat on the floor and put Scooter there with us...Alex, Dr. Holland, his tech, myself, Adam and Don. Bless Scooter's heart, he was completely blind and had really become so sad. Our pastor had called this morning to give Alex encouragement and suggested he read these verses from Romans 8.
He said his theology professor in seminary said that these verses make it clear that ALL creation will be glorified.

"...I don't think there's any comparison between the present hard times and the coming good times. The created world itself can hardly wait for what's coming next. Everything in creation is being more or less held back. God reins it in until both creation and all the creatures are ready and can be released at the same moment into the glorious times ahead. Meanwhile, the joyful anticipation deepens." Romans 8:18-21 TMB.

This was very comforting to me and to Alex. Afterwards we all prayed together, and then Scooter went to sleep. And that demon cancer can't hurt him anymore. He is at peace.

Dr. Holland brought a casket with him, and he took care of putting Scooter into it. Then my sweet Adam took the job of digging a hole 4 feet deep. There were so many roots that had to be broken up, Don had to get the ax. But, he was not supposed to do anything like this after his surgery, so the brunt of the task fell on Adam. He worked very hard, and then carefully placed Scooter beneath a big old oak tree.

We are all spent. Alex nor I have slept much in the past few days...and especially last night. So we are ready for rest, and sweet sleep.

I know everyone is not an animal lover...and I appreciate that. But, Scooter has been much more than a pet. Alex got him right after he was first diagnosed with cerebellar atrophy. And, he has been his constant companion ever since. He has been a guardian, as well as a friend. I have always felt very comfortable leaving Alex alone because Scooter was always so in tuned to him. No one could ever go near Alex unless they cleared it with Scooter first. But, his time with us is over, and he deserves his rest. We had him for 14 years...and he was one of the family.

"Go on, sweet puppy, go on up to heaven. Find our mansion, and wait for us on the porch. We'll all be along soon. I hear the treats in heaven are wonderful!"

26 comments:

nancygrayce said...

I am so sorry for all the family! We understand exactly what you're going through after having to do the same with our 14 year old yellow lab a few years ago.

I hope at the appropriate time, Alex will find another friend like Scooter, not to replace him, but to be another friend to him. We got two!

Love and prayers to you all!

southerninspiration said...

Aww, Tonya, so so sorry to hear this. I know you all will miss him dearly.


Suzanne

Love Being A Nonny said...

Find our mansion and wait for us on the porch.........this alone tells how much Scooter meant to all of you. God bless you all...especially Alex.

Melody said...

I am so sorry to hear about Scooter. I know you will miss him but are very thankful to have so many wonderful memories with a loving friend.

Kellie said...

So sorry to hear that - wonderful verses though.

andi said...

TJ, I am beyond sorry...I am praying for sweet rest!!!! We love you all.

Darby said...

Oh Tonja, This makes me so sad. We hold our pets near and dear in this family. We are praying for your family and Alex. May you all find comfort in the Lord... clearly Scooter was a blessing from Him!!!

Jean said...

Oh, Tonja, this just makes me weep for dear Alex. Your family is so precious. I pray you all will be able to sleep tonight in spite of your grief. I pray that the dear Lord will hold Alex in his arms tonight.

Debbie said...

As I read this, tears are falling because I know how you feel. It makes me sad to think of scooter and also the dogs we have lost. The love that we feel from our pets, its indescribable sometimes. Hopefully, one day, Alex can find another pet that will be special too. Debbie

LivingTheLife said...

Oh! Tonja...I am so sorry that this decision had to be made...but I know that you all will rest easier knowing Scooter is at peace and no longer suffers. All the while I DO know the pain one experiences with the lost of a beloved pet. I had to re-read your post b/c my eyes kept filling w/tears...tears for Alex having to make that decision and knowing he faces sadness w/o him, tears because of the beautiful way you all came together in prayer and how understanding your vet was, tears when I read how Adam chose to dig the perfect spot for Scooter to rest and all the trouble he went to, tears when I read how you prayed together and know that he awaits you on your porch in heaven...love knows no boundaries...especially when it comes to those who love us unconditionally as I know Scooter did for you and your family.

Give Alex a hug for me...I don't know him personally (even though I feel as though I do) but I do know his pain...and I will continue to keep each of you in my prayers.

Blessings...
Teresa

Anonymous said...

Be happy for all the years that Scooter was with you and Alex. Be happy that he's out of pain and in a perfect place.

My thoughts are with you all.

Zaankali said...

This breaks my heart. It is so hard to say good bye to a pet that has become such a close friend and some dogs just seem to pick up on how we are feeling more than others. It is like they sense when to stay near to us.
Hugs to all of you!

Southern Lady said...

My heart aches for all of you, Tonja, especially for your sweet Alex.

May he be comforted by knowing Scooter is "just this side of Heaven in a place called "Rainbow Bridge, restored to health and vigor," waiting for the day when all of you can cross the bridge together to "find your mansion."

I will remember you and your family in my prayers, my friend.

Maggie said...

So sorry for you loss of Scooter. I think the companionship of dogs runs so deep, beyond even words. My prayer for your family is that you'll take comfort in your memories and in the knowledge that Scooter is back with his creator.

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Oh, I'm so sorry for your loss of Scooter. It's a very hard, but humane thing, to do what you did.

I personally believe we will have animals in heaven. Because if we don't, it won't be heaven for some of us now will it?

Blessings,

Sher

Debbie K. said...

Dear Family,
I understand the hurt and grief of losing a family pet after 14 years of unconditional love. My prayers are with you at this time. Don't let anyone tell you "It is just an animal." Scooter (like my Muffin) was a member of the family. Take one day at a time. Create a scrapbook of Scooter memories or donate to the local shelter in remembrance of him. It will help your heart to heal.
God Bless!

Gram said...

It is so hard to loose a pet, but what comforting words!

Gail said...

My heart is hurting for all of you. Your darling, loving Scooter is on the "Back nine" with our Grimmydog! Free at last! NO pain and running and enjoying it all! God Bless each of you. I truly, truly understand. Our Grimmy and sisters, two, Shelby Girl, and Zin are still connected to our heart strings. They will remain so until I, too, run free with them! God is good, and we will all meet together in the end! Glory be to our Lord!!! Kiss that Alex for me. My heart is so sad for him. I know....

marychristina said...

I'm so sorry...pets just give and give and give, don't they? Praying that God will comfort and bless you, your family and your boy.

Justabeachkat said...

Oh sweet friend! I'm literally in tears as I try to type this. I've heard you talk so many times about how special Scooter was...not only to Alex, but to you all. Knowing how much Miss Daisy means to us, I can't even imagine the pain your family is going through. I know this was not an easy decision, but one that had to be made. How very brave and loving Alex was. I will keep you all in my prayers. I know you all will miss him so much.

Your post was a beautiful touching tribute to a very special fur baby.

Hugs!
Kat

Sherrie said...

Oh Tonja....I am just now reading your post. I am so sorry....how sweet it was of your vet to come to your house and what a sweet time I know that you had with your sweet scooter. I am so sorry for Alex and I am hoping and praying that he will be okay. Those little 4-legged creatures can sure take your heart away!!!!! I miss my Codie and can't wait till the day we get to see him again. Love you....

Adam R. Owens said...

I love you mom.

Love Being A Nonny said...

Just sent you an award on my blog.

Unknown said...

Your dog is very pretty! Please feel free to visit my blog at your leisure. God Bless you abundantly!

Judy

Unknown said...

Please accept my condolences. Losing a beloved pet is heart-breaking! They truly are a member of the family.

Deedra said...

I am so behind in my blog reading, that I am just reading this. I am so sorry for this loss to Alex and your family. I lost my two longtime pet/friends last summer and still miss them terribly. I am praying for you all, especially Alex, during this time!