Tuesday, January 19, 2010

ART COLLECTION

Right before Christmas, I received a book in the mail. Upon opening the package, I saw it was from an antiques dealer in Savannah. I had purchased several pieces of furniture from him, and also a piece of his artwork.

The canvas I purchased is full of color, and I could see what he was trying to capture as he explained it to me while I was in his gallery. So, I brought it home with me and hung it in the hallway, right outside the doors leading to my bedroom. In the afternoon, the sunshine comes through the bedroom window and hits it in such a way that the whole painting glows.


As I flipped through the book, I was surprised to see my painting depicted there.


There was a picture of the painting, along with a description of what the artist was thinking...

Also included was an inscription from Vincent.


I had recently bought an easel for the library, and this was a perfect place to display the book. I kind of laughed at the final line that said 'from the private collection of Tonja Owens.'



What exactly would be considered worthy of an art collection? I really don't have a lot of fine art. This piece and 2 others are all that I would consider 'fine'. I do have some other original art that I am very fond of. And I have some vintage wooden artifacts that are very valuable to me...and probably only me. Yes, I would consider them art. I have some fabulous photography that is certainly considered art. I also have several artifacts from Africa and South America, given to me by my parents, that would fit in the category also.

So, maybe I do have an art collection. For certain...it is mostly valuable only to me. But, that's as it should be, isn't it?

9 comments:

Justabeachkat said...

How cool!

Love the painting too.

Hugs!
Kat

Jill said...

Well, since I sell art...and I do happen to think it's fine... I wholeheartedly agree with you. Fine art is anything that moves you and that you love. And, even more wonderful, it doesn't depreciate over time!

Zaankali said...

That is so neat!
Smiles!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

That is awesome. It is so nice to see your name there in the book.
The picture is beautiful.

Debra from Bungalow said...

It's a beautiful painting and now even more special to you. How nice, maybe he has a crush on you!

Jean said...

The finest art I have are pictures painted by Dick's late mother and our daughter Miki.

That book looks so good displayed on the easel.

Southern Lady said...

Tonja, just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so is art.

I can see why you love your painting -- it's lovely -- and to have your name in his book makes it even more special.

nancygrayce said...

That is a great painting! How great that he included a piece from your private collection in his book!

My private collection is mostly in the form of pictures of my kids! :)

Together We Save said...

Wow - very cool!!