Wednesday, May 12, 2010

A LITTLE KITCHEN COLOR

It's been fun getting The Creek House ready for summer. Pool parties, bridal showers, July 4th, Birthday Celebrations, etc! I love it! I love the sun and the summer.

Let's start with the kitchen:
I bought this canvas when I was in Maui in March. It is very different than the things I usually like, but something about the explosion of color, and the feeling of 'canning fruit' in Aunt Ree's kitchen (see the jar of huckleberries), just spoke to me. My family doesn't really like it, they think it looks like an 'old lady'. But, since there are no 'old ladies' around this house, I decided to hang it up. And, I love it! It makes me happy!

Now...do you notice the 'blue willow like' china in the picture? I thought it was important to bring that out, and I did not have any pieces. So, I sat off on a quest. Find some pieces at a low, low price. First stop, R*ss...where I scored this great platter for $5.95! It really is pretty. Next over to TJM, where I found the bowl and saucer for $3.99 each.

Heading back to TJM several days later, they were just putting out these small lamps...$9.99. And, on a trip over to Pop's, I realized Mom had several pieces on the top of a cabinet. The large pot on the second shelf is hers. It is difficult to tell, but right in front of the lamp is a dish of faux cherries. There are cherries in the pic. Now, I am on the prowl for some faux strawberries. None around these parts, so I may have to look out of town. A little pot of herbs, some oranges, and a little greenery...all in all, it's coming together well.

And, look at this beautiful tall pitcher...from Adam and Suzanne for Mother's Day. It is just perfect in my kitchen! They are very good to me!

FYI...canvases can be wrapped and not framed, as such, and I really like that look better. However, since I was hanging this in the kitchen, I decided to frame it under glass instead, to better protect it.

******************************

KITCHEN TIP: To get rid of those pesky kitchen odors....eat out!

Let me share with you a memory I have of my Granny Merritt, that makes me laugh every time I think of it. Once when we went up to visit, Granny and I were sitting and talking. She brought up cooking and I told her that I had a motto:
........."FROM THE CAN...TO THE PAN...TO THE MAN!".........Well, she though that was the funniest thing she had ever heard! She laughed and laughed, and told everyone who came around about it. But, she kept forgetting part of it. She asked me to write it down for her so she would not forget it. All I could find was an old scrap of blue paper. But, I wrote it out for her, and she hung it on her refrigerator. Later, after she died, Mom found that tattered old blue paper tucked inside her Bible! She brought it home to me, and I have it among my treasures.







8 comments:

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I adore that picture, I know I would have bought it. Your display looks perfect, just like a magazine.

Gram said...

I love the picture - it looks like something I would buy and there aren't any old ladies at my house either.

Melissa said...

I love the motto! I don't care much for cooking myself either! Baking, yes, cooking, not so much.

Love Being A Nonny said...

Call me old...I love the picture. AND the orange vase!

Allison said...

I love the tall pitcher! And I love all of your display space in your house. Beautiful beautiful beautiful!

Jill said...

Love it, Tonja! I'm a sucker for blue + white.

nancygrayce said...

You have a way with putting things together and making beautiful arrangements!

Southern Lady said...

Tonja, I love your picture and I don't think it looks "old lady-ish" at all. You coordinated everything so beautifully ... and that's not easy to do.

I enjoyed the story about your Granny Merritt. I know that touched your heart that she saved that little scrap of paper all those years in a very special place -- her Bible.